My Benefits: Manage your energy bills
Below are some of the ways in which smart metering and grids enable all this, as well as your participation in the energy market.
The closer to real-time the information is, the better you can manage your energy use since you will know how much energy you are using and when.
Unlike traditional meters, smart meters allow you to receive accurate bills more regularly. This means bills based on the energy you have actually used, not what your energy supplier predicts you will use. Some European countries have opted to send you accurate bills once every two months, others every month.
As well as being fairer for you, this also allows you to better monitor and adjust your energy use to suit your budget.
A smart meter means you can more easily, quickly and remotely:
- Have your meter read without needing to be home to let the meter reader in
- Change or modify your subscriptions and tariff plans
- Switch from one supplier to another
- Check your energy use on your mobile phone or webpage (where available)
- Get reconnected when you change address or after a power outage.
This not only saves you time, but also puts you fully in control of all your energy choices from wherever you choose via the internet, your smartphone or tablet.